Saturday, October 29, 2005

Hang Up and Drive, Dammit!

In the old days, you knew who the drunk drivers were , and you
could stay away from them. Maybe you'd see a guy ahead of you
weaving in and out of the lanes, and you'd say to yourself, " Wow, that guy is
REALLY wasted! Better stay away from him."
And it wasn't a constant, every day occurrence, either. A once in awhile thing.
Weekends, usually.

But oh, how times have changed!

Now, I have a cell phone. I admit it. It's in my purse, and when I'm
in my car driving, it's turned off. For good reason. Look at how amazingly,
treacherously bad most people are when they are talking on the phone
and driving at the same time! Get a hands -free, people! What, are you too
goddam cheap to buy a little doohicky that you can use from your cigarette
lighter in your car( Actually, I wonder if I even have a built in cig lighter in
my own car : ) ?
But the point is, I'm sure I could figure out a way in this day and age to hook up
a hands- free phone set in my car.
Seriously, I guess people either don't care , or are completely oblivious to the
fact that they are driving scary-bad. They don't have the skills, but they think they do.
This girl in the fast lane yesterday kept slamming on her brakes, hitting them hard,
slowing down way too suddenly, and risking my life and everyone behind her .

I was already keeping a far distance, because she was also weaving and driving in two lanes at once,In addition to the sharp braking. So I was afraid of rearending her.
But at one point, when she braked sharply, forcing us all to do the same, I saw the truck behind me go to the side as he was braking, he was turning his wheel towards the shoulder. Because he was apparently following me too closely. He was going to try and go off the road to avoid hitting
me, if she decided to come to a complete halt on the freeway (in the afternoon, on a friday).
.
Because we couldn't get around her, that's the thing, we were stuck! Cars were whizzing
past us on the right, on the left we had the wall. She was driving so slow that our lane was
far slower then the others. I couldn't build up enough speed to get around her.
I finally got to make my move and get the hell away from her.
As I drove by I saw her talking on the phone and smiling, she was completely
oblivious. In her own world.
She had a row of cars behind her...
I've seen other people come up and tailgate the slower people in the fast lane, until they
get out of the way. But
if the idiot is oblivious, weaving dramatically, braking sharply in the freeway fastline,
and you are unable to get around for all the rushing cars coming up to your right,
then it's really asking for an accident. The person wasn't paying attention. They wouldn't
get the hint.
I looked back again... It was funny because everyone was still
behind her, stuck, and the truck behind me had moved up and was, in fact, riding her
bumper pretty close.
I had just seen her face, remember? Oblivious to everything except the phone.
Truck guy was wasting his time, and risking his life. He was making the situation
worse for the people behind him. I'd been following her speed exactly, but far enough
behind her that I had time to break more gradually.
People that do this should come to grips with the fact that they do not drive well
when they have their hand glued to their head and are carrying on a conversation
and doing god knows what else at the same time! It's not going to kill them to admit that
they can't drive and talk at the same time. But it might kill them if they DON'T admit it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cecyl said...

I love to drive. I hate people who think they can multitask and drive at the same time.

I love to drive fast and I hate people who thinks they drive well just because they drive slowly. The worst/most dangerous drivers I've seen were most of the time driving within the speed limits. People drive slowly and think, Well, I don't have to pay attention to what's going on around me anyway because I respect the speed limit. And they start doing unpredictible shit without even realizing it. Granted: when I drive fast, if I crash or lose control, consequences are way worst than if I had driven slowly. BUT, when I drive fast I pay attention to EVERY-FUCKING-THING (what's going on 3 cars behind and ahead of me, the signs, the sidewalk, where this or that car is trying to go, what kind of driver is driving this or that car, etc.)

If someone is driving faster than me I make it easier for him to pass. I don't care being passed, as long as the guy keeps moving ahead and doesn't stay in front of me and then slow me down afterwards.

Damn, I didn't want to get started on the subject. I should stop here before the comment outlenght the post!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

You reminded me of something I hate more than anything!
The person that speeds up to pass you, they signal you, so you are nice and let them go in front of you, and then they slow down to about 60 or so. And the
damndest thing, I have seen this, is when one tries to go around them, and pass them, they'll speed up to prevent you from getting in front of them again! I have witnessed this both for myself but also have seen it happen to others. What kind of perverse shit is this?!? >: O

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home