Friday, November 18, 2005

Oh Crap! My Strings! WTF?!?

I just ran through about 5 of my songs, they sounded good,
and I was able to put the fear and insecurity at bay for awhile. Felt
confident of my skills. I'd needed to run through the words on all of those.
Then, when I was launching into the weird blues thing, instrumental,
a very old Lisa original, I noticed one of my strings sounded off. Way off.
The E.
I only know this because I looked on the pack of strings that I pulled forth
from my junk drawer in the kitchen. I'm very happy that I remembered they were there.
Flat Tops. Designed to quiet my chord shifts. I think these are the semi-flats.
There was a picture of the strings on the pack, so that I could pick out the thickest string.

Anyway, here's the problem:
My E string sounds dead, and no matter what I do, it won't tune. So I think it's
re-string time, because these strings should have all been changed a long time ago.
But doesn't your new strings take about a week or so of playing to start feeling right?
Settling in? Whatever you call it?
I'm practically hysterical because I really am going into the studio tomorrow to
finally begin this. This is like one of the worst things that could happen.
Although surely they have guitars. And yet I'm comfortable and happy with mine.
It's an acoustic electric combo guitar...
Shit. I hate re-stringing the thing. That's why I never do it.

That producer guy, he wanted me to do a cover of "From The Beginning' by ELP
once he knew that I could do it. I can play and sing that by myself, and he liked it.
Mike taugh me that a very long time ago, so I've only had lots of time to practice it,
get better at it. I can even play the solo, that leads into the keyboard. And my voice sounds
good, I suppose the producer's right that it's one of my better songs, even if it is a cover.
I was going to try to stay away from covers.
Ah well.
Back to the problem of the strings...

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeBoy said...

Restring and sin some more, or was that repent. My memory fails me. Yes restringing sucks. I used to have a tech that did that, now I have way too many guitars and myself. The joy of new strings is the fantastic sound. Good luck recording. I have another blog linked to my blog for musicians now. Check it out.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Jeez, I finally finished it just now.
The tuning is the worst.The strings
are stretching, setting in. So it's
tune, stretch for awhile, re-tune stretch for another while, retune and stretch..
But you are right, the sound is nice.
I'd forgotten about that.
At least it's done.

xoLisa

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home