Saturday, November 12, 2005

Yeah! Pt 2.

I've been afraid that T, the producer, wouldn't get back to me,
but YEAH! He did! Just now! He said he's been busy as hell, but he didn't forget about me.
I was afraid he did, and I started waxing philosophical about it. Comforting
myself with the thought " Well, at least someone wanted to do your album,
even if they aren't going to now."
I think part of it was listening to Rachel's voice recently, I told my friend " Listening
to Rachel sing made me feel like my voice was puke!" LOL
People remark on my voice as well, for example, my doctor once told me that I have a" very pleasant cadence to my voice" Whatever that is.
Hmm, I just looked it up, I dunno.

Anyway, T said that I have a distinctive voice , too.
To be honest, I have been kinda bummed about my voice lately, feeling like " What are
you thinking, Lisa? When there are people like Rachel in this world, and Kate Bush!"
But you know what helped me? Thinking of
Karen Carpenter. Rod Stewart.
People that may not be able to hit the highest notes , have quite that ability, but they have a distinctive sound, and in the case of Karen, I've heard a lot of different people say that she had one of the most beautiful voices in music. And I agree.
So I told myself, " Lisa, you have a very different voice from Rachel's, your voice doesn't
sound like puke, if it did, people wouldn't be requesting songs all the time, the producer
wouldn't have approached you, Patrick the DJ wouldn't have said so, you're being too
critical, too hard on yourself!"
I guess I'm still afraid that if I'm too happy, I'll jinx it somehow. When I told myself not
to be afraid to have more hope.

Thank you to all that gave encouraging words on the subject yesterday. The subject of
trying to be more happy and confident, and feel good about myself. I really did hear you, and take those words to heart...
I guess the album is still on!
BTW, this is what I secretly did all those years: I had a beat up, old, toy-guitar that I secretly
wrote songs and sang on. I traded a bracelet that I'd found in the street, at a pawnshop, for this toy-guitar. The guy wouldn't give me a better guitar for the trade.

But by the time I split up and moved out on my own, I had a whole buncha stuff that I'd written.
The first thing I did when I got out on my own was buy a "real" guitar. It's a 150$ - thing
that I bought from ebay, I'm happy with it. I have a 70's tape recorder that someone gave me,
and I've been using that to record my songs on. It's funny because I heard that Tom Morello
from Audioslave/RATM uses the exact same thing to record riffs on, etc. An old, 70's
cassette recorder. Made me feel better. I like it myself.

The thing that's also funny is that once right after I moved out, my ex came over, and I
played what I called a little private concert for him. He was shocked, and said " Wow, you got
good, fast!"
He didn't apparently know that I'd been secretly playing and writing all those years, so that this
was actually nothing new. And that without a real guitar, it wasn't sounding right, no matter
how hard I tried. With a real guitar, he suddenly thought I was magically good.

So that's the update for certain people that may have been wondering about this for quite awhile.. and I didn't
want to mention it to more recent friends because I was afraid they'd think I was trying to...
I dunno, solicit myself? That I had an agenda? I really don't.
And I hear certain people at the blogs talk about technical equipment, stuff that goes
right over my head, and I felt bad about that, too. Not having any fancier, more expensive
recording equipment.
But the music is what counts, remember that, Lisa.

3 Comments:

Blogger musicmikey said...

Hi Lisa, geat blog, so we are walking the same path, I don't know if you wanted me to read this blog or something else, I'll take a look around in a moment.
Don't beat yourself up about your voice, its the differences that make us all individual and special. Also, I believe that songs can be sung by the writer more honestly, I know I'm not the best singer, but all I have is me, I'm the best I'll ever have, so I'll make the best of me, and do the best I can.
Thankyou for leaving loads of sweet things on my Indonesian blog, about Asna and me, thanks again, I'll pop by soon.
mikey

7:02 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey Mikey! Nice to see you here!
I'm glad you are checking my blog out,
I figured you'd join Karel, Kid Ric,
and myself over in Japan, marveling at the ancient underwater city...

7:16 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

Lisa,

You know Beck Hansen recorded his first record(?) in a bathroom stall. Take solace in whatever may seem simple. The more simple, the better. You better, you better, you bet!

Have you any Mp3s?

Remember, too, Rachel's sound is British. Patty Smith? New jersey technically, but sorta Detroit. I've always thought it was strength over range, in voice. It's where a person is from that makes their voice distinct.

Just a thought.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home