Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Desiderata Revealed...

Once again, I want to apologize for being a selfish blogger and not visiting anyone lately. I'm so sorry you guys/gals!!But I also wanted to tell you that it makes me happy to see people, you, my blogger friends, struck by the Desiderata the way I was when I'd first heard the words. I'd said the same things, "How true these words are! How beautiful and wise!"
I first was told these words by Mike, my old friend and musical/philosophical mentor that died last year. He knew them by heart, and was able to recite it word for word, and it was very profound experience for me when he'd done that. He later brought me a little plaque that had the words inscribed on it. He'd told me that the written words had been found in the basement of a cathedral in St Paul in 1692, that no one knew who they'd originally come from. And yet I later saw them attributed to a Max Hermann? 1957? I'm going to check this out further... Ok:
It's still believed to have been found in a church 1692 by many people-
But it really was written by a guy named Max Herman,published it 1927. Guess he was a
poet, writer, along the lines of Kahlil Gibran ( Hi Rusty Pearl, I have read some K.G. :). By the way, Desiderata is Latin for "Things to be Desired.

A cute little Desiderata story that warms my heart concerns some Deadhead neighbors we'd had for awhile. About 10 yrs ago. Kevin and Karen, a young married couple, very sweet, very into the Grateful Dead. We'd gotten to talking, and they came over one day to see our puffer fish that we had. A huge puffer that we were proud of.
So they are there, in the living room, we are talking, and I notice Kevin is looking, squinting at something on the wall, he's looking at my plaque of the Desiderata. He's reading it.
Next minute, Kevin is freaking out, saying " Wow, did you write this? It's amazing!
Can you make a copy for me? This is like my personal philosphy right there in a nutshell!"
So we wound up going online and finding an attractive copy of it and printing it up
with some good paper, color, etc.
It was neat because later on down the road I got to see that they'd framed the
copy we'd made and had it on the wall of their living room, in a can't miss it place.. Warms my heart remembering what good people they were. :)
Anyone that loves the words of the Desiderata and tries to live by them is surely a good person! I know I have seen this in person with you all here!
Thanks for taking the time to really read those words, they mean a lot to me:
" You are a child of the Universe, no less than the stars or the trees,you have a right to be here and whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should"

2 Comments:

Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Lisa!

Ahum, was just going to bed but decided to come and comment before that. These are really good stories connected to the words! I wonder how that story got started, that they would have been found in St Paul's cathedral in 1692...Kahlil Gibran, huh? I got to get into him! Seems to be one of Saul Williams' favorites!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey I could see Saul being "into" Kahlil, A lot of creative people
I knew in my youth were very into Kahlil, so that's how I came across
him myself.
All these new people to read and listen to! :)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home