Wednesday, June 15, 2005

BattleBot Cactus and the Home Lobotomy...

Better a bottle in front o' me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Better a canopy above me bed, than a can o' pee below me bed. : D

It was raining very hard recently. Very hard. I have this
much- loved cactus , I'm not even sure what kind it is. I have
never seen one like it before. It's now about 2 1/2 feet high, with
6-inch spikes jutting out all over it. The spikes are extra lethal-looking,
because the base of each needle has about an inch worth of some neon orange
color. It's some kind of poison, an irritant to my skin when I've poked myself
on them.
After the incident( the incident I am about to tell you about), I measured one of
the needles. I even measured the width of the needle. They were about 1/8 of an
inch thick at the base of the needle. Of course, the needles were all in various stages
of growth. But most are between 4-6 inches long..
I have had this remarkable cactus that I named " BattleBot" for about 7 years.
I LOVE this cactus. ( BTW, I wish I had a digital camera. I would be posting all kinds
of pics here)
BattleBot used to have a sister, a more petite version of BattleBot.
The El Nino rains a long time ago wiped out Lady BattleBot, I didn't know that a
cactus could explode, drown, I don't know what you would call it. Went out there
after the rains and there was something that looked like a wet greenish- black garbage bag
with spikes drooped down over the the pot, like that savador dali picture where the clock is
kind of dripping/draping over a tree limb or something. That's what Lady B looked like.

So with the rains recently, I became afraid that BattleBot might drown like his sister.
It was raining EXTREMELY HARD when I went out there to try and rescue BattleBot.
I may have even been in my nightgown and barefoot, it was an emergency. I had looked out at the rain from the door and spied BattleBot out there with his pot completely overflowing with rain water. He was probably going to meet the same tragic death as Lady BattleBot.

I had previously made reference to a freak accident, one that might make a "cool"
jackass- style clip . The kind that people email to each other.
This is the setup for the freak accident, and if you didn't get any hint of what I'm writing about,
or especially if you are squeamish, afraid of needles, anything
like that, you've been warned. You may not want to read this upcoming part.
Also,
I reiterate : If I had a digital camera, I'd post pics of all kinds of stuff, including BattleBot.

So I run out there in the rain, to pour out the water that is overflowing his pot. In the process,
( I was crouched down, holding him in the one place I wouldn't get poked with needles, and withthe other hand trying to tilt the pot to pour the water out. I was obviously trying to be
very careful, but when I went to tilt the pot, I'd apparently forgotten just how heavy
BattleBot has grown over the years. Plus he'd grown an arm in the last couple of years. It was was my undoing. The weight of the cactus and the precarious way I was trying to support it,
it fell with all it's weight against my head, and drove one of the 6 inch long spikes into my head.
Yep.
I quickly remedied the situation, and in fact, I got the water poured out of his pot, and I brought
him inside to protect him fromt the weather.
But as I was carrying B in, and in fact pretty instantaneously upon contact with the needle, I had felt copious amounts of cold wet liquid pouring down the side of my face and down my neck and chest.
I wasn't letting myself look down until I'd finished my task at hand. I was actually thinking, and
I may have said it out loud " Oh shit, you gotta be kidding me" .
Because I had a really bad feeling about what I was going to see.
HA! Now you see why I got kind of dizzy trying to write about it yesterday!
And I'm feeling that way right now!
I'm seeing a pattern here. Write about the cactus through-the- temple story, get dizzy.
I AM taking another break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home