Sunday, November 13, 2005

For Posterity...

This is more of a mental note, in fact,
I may throw this away tomorrow. I am buzzed on Long Island Ice Teas,
but I'm not too buzzed that things are looking double or anything. And I
seem to be typing ok.
It's because I had to drive home, actually. And also because I sang quite a few
songs tonight I couldn't get snockered or anything. Don't like getting sloppy drunk anyway... Buteven so, this is why I'm here right now...
I tend to forget the songs that I've done the next day, after I wake up.
So I'm going to try and list them now, so that I won't forget.

This kareoke DJ tonight, he had the most amazing shit, I couldn't believe it.
So I got inspired. You won't believe the shit they have in Kareoke.
I did:
" Shine on you crazy diamond"
" Time"
" I Feel Free"
"Burden In My Hand"
" Smoke On The Water"
Ah shit! I'm losing it already! It's fading! Lost in the remembrance
of people's reactions, people freaking out. It's not just that they were songs
that made people crazy, they didn't expect them, but also because they were
efortless to sing, and I nailed each and every one so perfectly! I was so on tonight!
It's neat meeting all these strangers, and we talk and have fun, and then, like tonight,
this nice really young couple and I were hitting it off, I was trying to get the girl to do
a song. You can tell when people want to do it themselves, they fantasize about it,
but ultimately are too afraid. .
She wouldn't do it, and they called my name. Afterwards, her and the guy were high fiving
my hands a lot, and really complimenting me. I got so much applause tonight!

But part of it really was the song selection. Oh yeah!
I did: " Can't find my way home" Blind Faith.

And that finished me off. If I'd had the honey-loquat syrup, maybe I could've done more.
Wow, I did 6 songs!
Let's see, 2 Pink Floyds,
a Cream,
A Soundgarden,
Deep Purple,
and Blind Faith.

Let me repeat myslef here: Who knew they had this kind of shit in Kareoke?
I didn't.
Although one night I did Steely Dan's" Reelin' in the years"
And I did it just for the solo, one of my fave solos ever recorded in a rock song.
That whole guitar thing in that song. Man.
So I did it because I was wondering how the studio musicians are going to pull it off. LOL
I tell the DJ, Patrick, he knows I do that. He makes the guitar sound like it's laughing
at times...

I'll say " I wonder how the studio musicians are going to do that killer blues solo
in ZZ Top's Cheap Sunglasses? "
And I'll do it, just so we can find out. He likes it, too. I'll sing songs that have references
to hot women, etc, like the Cheap Sunglasses lyrics. It's not about that. For me it's the guitar,
listening to the studio musicians. God bless the studio musicians. They shred, they kick ass,
and they don't get the mass accolades. And yet they make the music world go round.
Anyway.
I tend to remember the ones that I do killer on, and mentally discard the ones that I
wasn't so hot on, usually a case of being too buzzed or something. Like the still-traumatic
Kiss Rock and Roll all night ( and party ever-rrr-eee day) fiasco. : P

Last time this same guy was here , the fill-in DJ, I wound up doing Yes " Roundabout"
and " Long Distance Runaround" Got the huge response on those, people coming up to me all night afterwards. Yes people.
I need to add Roundabout to my list. I kick ass on Yes.
I need to go to bed.
Goodnight! : )
p.s. The songs weren't done in that order, I work my way up from easiest to hardest.
Blind Faith, that was hardest ( as one might imagine) and last.
That's kind of effortless, too. If my voice is on, like it was tonight.
I think I'll have to drink the honey-loquat syrup tomorrow and for the next week. I'm
scheduled to go into the studio next Saturday. Knock wood! T told me, but I'm still cautious.
Who knows what could happen to the guy between now and next Saturday?
Jeez, get a grip, Lisa. So fearful of anything good happening. lol..

My throat feels strained and I think I have laryngiitis. My throat gets so dry, and they don't have tea or anything! Just booze. So my throat gets thrashed from lack of moisture, singing 6 songs without any drink of water or tea or anything! That's what's really hurting it!

8 Comments:

Blogger ginab said...

"Wow...That was strange, and beautiful.
Pretty cool!" LIKE YOU!

Thanks for stopping by, but more for sharing your karoke night. Geez. I've never been brave enough to sing openly. I applaud you!!!!

Then, last night I'd had three Harps in me and I was nearly sharing a stool with a pretty tight drummer. He's a small kit player, and he's good. His dad is even better. But I tried singing to him. That one oldie about: When ti-i-ime . . . I-I-I need your love. PATHETIC!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Ginab, this was amazing timing on
your part, because I almost yanked this post just now! On the grounds
that I'd had a couple when I'd written it. Sober mind interveneing today.. lol
So you showed up just in time! 5 more minutes and would have been gone!
BTW,
I relate to how damned scary Kareoke is! I'm still not used to it, I may not ever be used to it. Going up and
singing/performing in front of people, I get lightheaded and everything. This actually began as an exercise for me in overcoming stagefright.I've got it bad.But then kareoke turned out to be such fun!

3:36 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

Gosh I'm glad you didn't erase or blip your post. You taught me how to spell kareoke!

I could tell you a story about me drinking Long Island Iced Teas, being nineteen when that was the Age in Atlanta, and walking bandy legged nearly smack into four lanes of traffic. I mean, I've lived to tell about it, but I was ripped and lost, for sure. The river water of memory black with mud. Sounds like you hold your teas pretty well.

Teaching, the miracle occupation, forced me to get over some serious lifelong shyness, if I was going to butter my bread. So I'm with you on that stage fright biz. (I'd graduated and the economy bottomed out.) I only teach one section of composition now, outside of my real job in the real world. I learned something the other night following a reading: that MFA's are only ever allowed to teach basic composition no matter that (I was talking to a really good writer) his work might wow me and I guess my own wowed you (you're nice for saying so). I'd felt fortunate to be able to teach part time, to get over my shyness, to be able to see that students wanted to learn something from what I might know about writing. It's a humble occupation. Absolutely.

And, it's a strange world. Townshend's chapters are great for bringing people together. I mean, I'm glad you're around and I wouldn't have known about you otherwise. That's some magic. Makes me want to sing!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Thanks, Ginab-
Makes me want to sing, too!
I was thinking, purely on
a karmic level(if one believes in karma), then surely Pete must have some good karma in store, for inadvertently bringing together and uniting a talented and interesting group of people, in friendship. Seems like each and every person Ive met recently is bright and talented in some way. :)
It IS magic.
p.s. That stage fright biz IS
something gnarly to get over,isn't it? Glad you did it.Now if we can only get you to kareoke! :)
p.p.s. I'm glad you survived the Long Islands to be with us today!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

You go girl. Six songs and I love Cream. Would have liked to hear you do that one.

You will kick ass in the studio I'm sure.

Thanks for the kind comment. You actually cried? You are soooo sweet.

Peace, love and light to you.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Yep, K.R., I cried, lol.
Oh, no big boohoo tears or anything, but I did. The poem gave me a happy and hopeful feeling, which is a newer feeling for me to have these days...
And did you know they have
"Tales of brave Ulysses" in kareoke?
Amazing! Who knew?

6:50 AM  
Blogger MsAmber said...

I wish I could say something encouraging. But you have more courage than I.
I wish I could allay your fears of failure, but I am more afraid than you.
Just know that I am silently pulling for you.
Maybe a little jealous - I've always wanted to sing.
But I can put my jealousy aside and say: I hope you make it. You deserve to.
My sincere admiration,
MsAmber
www.wildernessgirl.com

4:50 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Well what a sweet thing to say, Ms. Amber! And you clearly have other
talents, I've noticed : A real poetic way with words, for one thing.
I was a little blue today, you really helped me. Thanks!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home