Saturday, August 27, 2005

Notes About My Dad's Secrets ( and my editing)...

About a year before I found out about my Dad being a Vet, I was
hanging out with some of the Irish family that owned the local deli in our
neighborhood. The kids my age. I think they were 3rd generation. Even
I had more of a brogue then they did, and that's pretty nil( I don't have
a brogue or the back east accent unless I get drunk or mad.Even then it's only a
hint. Someone at the club one night asked me if I was from Canada. Ouch.
I guess it was the way I sang certain words).

Mike ( my then-boyfriend previously written of in this blog) and D and D the Irish brothers,
and B who worked there, we are all behind the deli getting stoned.
Keep in mind that this was 20 years ago. We were teenagers.

I think we were talking about people that are different, something like that. I don't really remember exactly.
Except that B and the D's are talking about this one guy, a customer.
" Yeah, and the guy comes in, you can tell he's wasted, and he always orders the same thing:
An applesauce and tunafish or albacore sub. We didn't even KEEP applesauce here in the deli, but he came in one night and asked for it, we thought he was joking. He said that if we had it,
he'd come in and order them regularly, lol, so we DID, and sure enough, he comes in all the time and orders an applesauce and tunafish sub! And he gives us good tips...That guy is cool! LOL"

Another jaw dropping moment. My mouth dropped open.
" Oh my God"...I say.
That's my Dad! Applesauce and tunafish sub! YOU guys are the ones making them for him! "

We simultaneously " WOW'd" and laughed, and it was funny, but they looked at me totally differently
from then on, they even said at the time "That's your DAD?!? That's Aweome!!!"
And they gave me more respect, and from then on they gave me free
sandwiches, I never had to pay ever again.
We became really good friends, they treated me in a sisterly way.

If I've told that sub sandwhich story here before, I'm sorry. I looked for it and didn't find a reference to it. And it's such a good example of part of why I began to lighten up about my Dad's alcoholism when I was a teenager.

Note on the editing:
I'm sorry about my shoddy editing, I've noticed things after I've posted that I shouldve trimmed or changed. Sometimes I'm repetitious.
I DO edit, but I need to try and do a better job.
The problem is that I'm writing from the heart, and sometimes when I'm writing here
I'm crying or laughing. In part 4 of my Dad's secrets, when I wrote " Charlie's taking a piss!"
I was literally laughing through tears.
I tend edit my post and hastily click "publish". Because I'm afraid if I linger editingI'll change it
too much, omit things due to second-thoughts, but also eliminate the realness, the heart.
So I publish too hastily.
And if you've been reading this stuff, I hope I hope you at least get a smile, if not some chuckles,
despite the editing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home