Sunday, September 04, 2005

Kareoke Update...

This list grows ever longer and what an eclectic
mix it is. I lost my original piece of paper that I'd
written all my songs on. There have been a lot of
songs added since then, anyway.

Last night I took a chance and did an extreme oldie, everyone
in the bar seemed to be in that mood. Usually I shake
things up when it's like that, but last night I went with the flow.
Did " Someday we'll be together" by The Supremes, to start with.
People seemed to like it, even though I literally hadn't heard that song
in about 20 years, and definitely hadn't practiced it ahead of time.

I can't remember the second song I did. I'm too overjoyed by the
response to the 3rd song that I did.
"Have a Cigar" by Pink Floyd. : )
A couple of weeks ago I did "Time" (also by Pink Floyd) and got some
of the most rousing and extended applause I have ever gotten. The same night
I did "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith, and kicked ass! Got the same
kind of extreme response. That was probably hands down the best night in kareoke
that I'd ever had, and that includes War Pigs and Fairies Wear Boots! Those are my
prior biggest responses. Bring the house down type stuff.

This stuff has saved my life in recent times, and I know how hokey and dumb that sounds.
And the side effect that I didn't count on - my voice is getting that much more
controlled and polished. I'm hitting extended high notes that go on forever. I'm picking up
certain vocal techniques, all kinds of stuff. It isn't that I couldn't sing before, it's more
that I'm that much better these days, with all the practice and variety of songs.

I still need to make a list of all the songs I've done. It's good for me, because I can refer
to them in a pinch if I can't come up with ideas on kareoke nights. I should do it here,
since I lost the original piece of paper with the handwritten list.

Part of the rush is the conquering of deep, hard-core fear( and then the accolades). And for me, personally,
it never gets easier. Every single damned time, I have to go through that all over again.
Jimmy Page has said that he frequently puked before going on stage, that it never got
easier for him. And that's Jimmy Page!
I never thought I'd get to know what it feels like to have waves of human cheers wash over me.
It's very healing. People coming up to me raving, asking me to sing more, people even getting moved, emotional. I am making them feel things. I am making them happy. I am affecting people, no matter how small or inconsequential it really is. And it's healing me in return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home