Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Footnote On The French Horn...

I guess that's the question I have:
Does everyone see it like that, and it's just that
other people are better able to differentiate? I'm left-handed.
Does being left-handed have anything to do with it?
I don't play guitar left-handed. Mike taught me that I should theoretically
have an easier time, with the left-hand being the one that actually would
have more control over the neck. He was correct. I am a left-handed guitar
player that plays right- handed. I think it makes me a lot better.
I know that Jimi hendrix and Kurt Cobaine played left-handed, strung upside
down, supposedly. I tried that, it just didn't work for me.
I do wonder if that might be why I've had such a hard time reading music, when
I was in the gifted classes in all my other subjects. Yep.
It was a mental block, had to be. Maybe something to do with the right brain/left brain thing.
Who knows?
I'm still not that great at it.
Songs are like vividly- colored puzzles to me, and each instrument is a puzzle piece. All together they complete the puzzle. If the instrument doesn't fit just right, it's like a missing piece.

3 Comments:

Blogger ginab said...

I'll tell you Lisa about the one 'thing' that'd gutted me. I played piano, every day; I wanted to. I loved the deal: piano AND lessons, from the age of four. It was the only thing I thought about, never knowing the lessons would turn me into a heck of a sight typist. What became of the thing gutted me. Into the future, an explosion, and poof the piano is being hauled away by a couple of unlucky men. That piano remains the only object I've been attached to.

On the right brain/left brain thing: I do a weird thing with numbers. Working on grants, I usually end up figuring the budget. Miracle! I can memorize numbers, but the figuring would go amiss on me if it weren't for dear the dear buddy Excel.

I'm otherwise generally calm on the one hand and frankly mad on the other. We all feel anxious the better we get at a thing.

xo-g+bb

PS:I've been thinking. Even though I'd spotted you were cool, from your first post, we're not as cool as Justin. Nope. I read his byline and the fact his smiley text an extract from a real book, well, oh well.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Karel said...

music as colors..wow..i've never known anybody sees it that way..that's pretty cool..

I'm sure you can write a song about that, Lisa =)

I don't know how to read music either, and I always try to be proud about it..I like to think its a special "gift" to just play music by ear..

G'Night,
Karel

11:18 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey Ginab! That sucks about the piano,
sorry to hear that.
And you're right about the better one gets at something, the more anxious one becomes. It's like the pressure's on. xoxo...
And
Wow Karel, I thought everyone saw it that way,too!So people don't all see the colors or music?Hmm...interesting.
So you play by ear, too? Cool! I'm not alone on that after all.Took me a long time to feel ok about it.
xoxo Lisa

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home