Friday, May 20, 2005

Life Is Like A Monkey...

When my brother and I were kids in the late 70's, living
in L.A, CA, it was a good time. My mom was hosting Tupperware
parties in celebs mansions, after shrewdly divining that rich people
wanted to have Tupperware parties, too.It was all the rage at that
point. Even though gas was scarce and Carter was prez and
inflation was crazy, for my family it was a good time.
I wouldn't mind writing more about that. KMET, KLOS playing on the car
stereo, cruising around LA. Laughing when we heard Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good"
for the 1st time ( my parents loved it) on the way to Magic Mountain. Don Kirshener's
Rock Concert. Cheech and Chong, George Carlin. Steely Dan. Eagles. Fleetwood Mac.

My parents had these friends, and they came back from a trip to Japan with a
monkey. My parents were funny, quite the Bohemians. They had all kinds of ideas
about things, and now that I'm an adult I agree with them, but at the time, as a
kid, I hated a lot of it. My parents refused to buy any clothes for us that had logos
on them. Ditto and OP and Vans and all the things that we wanted, they denied us.
And we had the money, at that point. But my parents said
" If I'm going to be walking
around with someone's logo on me, advertising for them, then THEY'D better be paying ME,
not the other way around! Why should I pay someone, to advertise for THEM?!?"
Now, my Dad was right. I see that now.
But at the time, this was horrible.
( uh oh, I'm a million miles away from the monkey).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home