Monday, July 11, 2005

Cool Walmart Incident...

Yes, I shop at bad, evil Walmart, I'm so
awful for contributing to Mom and Pop stores
going out of business. What, like Mom and Pop ain't ripping people
off by price gouging and treating their employees like shit, by skirting a lot
of labor and health laws that apply to bigger business? Ha!

I'm just saying, if Mom and Pop Smith charge 5 bucks for a gallon of milk,
and Walmart charges 3.15, I personally am NOT rich and cannot afford to
pay extra.
You notice it's always the rich people screaming the loudest about Walmart
being bad. Maybe it is, but Mom and Pop businesses are notoriously stingy and
frequently weird or shady, and they ALWAYS charge waaay too much, for everything.
If YOU can afford to pay 500 bucks for a pair of shoes, and I can only afford 50
bucks for shoes ( or less), then quit preachin' to EVERYONE about Walmart being evil.
If Mom and Pop were competitive with their pricing, and were nice, then they could
compete just fine.
And hell, remember, a lot of the Mom's and Pops are just assholes, who will treat you
like a criminal if you try to return something, and are sometimes even perverts.
There IS some protection and benefits for both employees and shoppers of the big
companies.
But I wasn't going address this issue.

I was at Walmart today, and I bought a bunch of potting soil and various other things.
A huge bag of soil. I get up to the cashier, it's this tall guy, really jovial and friendly.
He's laughing with another cashier.
The first nice thing that happened was that this employee from nowhere popped up and
started bagging my stuff, and putting it back in my cart. Normally, they have this turnstile thingie with bags, and the cashier bags them and turns the thing and you grab the bag and load
it yourself. So that was nice that I didn't have to do it.
The second nice thing was that they liked these little cacti that I bought, very cute. 3 of them.
He was afraid he'd get stuck. I joked around with them, told them about the Battlebot cactus and then I noticed my bag of potting soil. The girl was
putting all the bags on top of it, but I knew they hadn't scanned it. I was going to get it for free.
So I pondered the idea, and knew I couldn't be dishonest, and said kind of shyly " I have to be honest, I don't think you guys scanned the dirt."
So they did scan it, and I was glad. It wasn't like it was that expensive, only about 4 bucks for a huge bag.

And that was it, until I got home and noticed a curious thing :
Now, I had purchased a lot of stuff because I save up everything I need on a list ahead of time and then get it all at once. Coffee, Paper Towels, Toothpaste, Conditioner. Etc.

I happened to look at the receipt at home, just for the hell of it. And I noticed something very
interesting. He only charged me for about 2/3 of the stuff! Literally, in the middle of the list,
it said " voided entry" and then there were 7 items, but there was 0.00 where the price would
be. The thing is, I checked the total ( by adding everything and subtracting those items), and he definitely didn't charge me for them.
I got a 20 something dollar discount! Wonder if he's going to pull a fast one on the register.
In any case, what a discount... Wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home