Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Trapped In The Closet ( parts 1 thru 189)...

I'm just joking around, it's " Trapped In the Closet , parts
1 thru 5. I think.
For those of you who don't know, it's a song, or series of songs,
that R.Kelly just came out with. Normally I don't like R.Kelly's
music, but this is great. I happened to catch the video.

Do you remember story songs of the 70's? My ex and I went on a tangent
one time, got to reminiscing about all the funny, lurid story songs
from the 60's, and 70's, that freaked us out when we were small,
hearing them on the radio.
You notice they kinda faded out? So we started collecting them. Cats in the Cradle.
Daddy Please Don't. Angie Baby. Etc.

Let's see...
, remember "Angie Baby" ? Helen Reddy. I remember being a really
little kid, listening to that in the car, and getting totally creeped out.
Crazy girl likes a boy, sucks him into some weird world, keeps him in her
room? Something like that. It was my Mom that was the bringer of these
songs into our house and car. She loved 'em.
" Daddy Please Don't" , I think this is the story of a young girl and a boy
in love, Dad hates the boy, in a tragic final act, dad accidentally shoots and
kills his daughter, instead of the boy. I believe the final words of the song are
" Daddy please don't ,
we're gonna get ma...rried..." ( she sings it in a faltering, little girls voice).

And on and on. Story songs are frequently so funny, I think unintentionally so .
There's one, by a band called
Bloodrock? " I remember...we were flying along, hit something in the air"
about a mid-air collision. That one was hard core! Wish I could find that one!
The guy is singing about a plane crash, and laying there on the ground, and seeing his
girfriend die right next to him. Yep. Bloodstone? Bloodrock? Damn.

So R.Kelly has re-introduced the story song formula, and it's
Hilarious. Except for the newer twist - the serial song formula.
I actually haven't seen the other parts of T.I.T.C...
In part 1, guy ( R.Kelly) is boinking a woman,
or at least, wakes up from boinking a strange woman, turns out that they are
both married. This is revealed when the woman's husband comes home.
R'Kelly is hiding guess where? In the closet, and what happens? His cell phone
rings. It the story song for the new millenium. Computers and cell phones busting
people in their infidelities.

But it's awesome becauseR.Kelly's cell phone rings, husband hears it, gets up and goes over to
the closet, and that's where part one ends. The first installment of " Trapped in the Closet".
The video made me lol through the whole thing, because
R.Kelly is making funny faces, like when he looks into the camera with "WTF?" expression
while he's hiding you-know-where.
Towards the end it's like he's saying over and over " Trapped in the closet, oooh yeah,
Sweatin' like hell, trapped in the closet, did I mention that I'm trapped in the closet, whoah yeah...Trapped in the closet"... BTW I'm still in the closet..."

So for anyone that wants to chuckle or smile and likes story songs, I'd recommend
checking these out. Like I said, I have yet to hear the other parts ( 2 thru 5?).
Whoooo yeah, trapped in the closet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home