Monday, August 01, 2005

My Neighbors Bicycle...

As I've mentioned before, I live a couple of blocks from the beach.
A lot of people around here ride a bike, a certain kind that's not a mountain
bike and not a ten speed. Not sure what this kind of bike is called. Beach Cruiser?

Anyway, the house next to mine is rented by these two girls, M and K.
M and K are very nice but very young ( they are also very pretty), and I'm not sure if they've ever lived by themselves before. They come from another state and are going to school out here.
M has a bicycle, and she keeps it sitting in the front of her house . There's
a short white picket fence out front. All one would have to do is walk by in the middle
of the day, see that no one is home, open the gate, grab the bike, and ride off.
I mean, it's not even locked up.

So I went to M and K, and I said " Someone might steal your bike if you don't lock it up."
I said this right after they moved in. Several months ago.
They agreed, and then to my amusement, they never locked it up! It amused me
because I'd think " Stubborn young 'uns, I remember what it was like to be that age". I had a contrary streak when I was that age, too. Hell, I STILL have one.

Well, I just talked to M a few minutes ago, and the bike was stolen from out front.
Sure enough. I was still surprised, and I was the one to warn them! But the whole reason
I'm writing this is because I'm pleased with myself for what I DIDN'T say in response to M's news.
What would YOU say in response? You probably know what words I'm talking about.
I did NOT say " I told you so!" Even though the impulse was so strong that it almost seemed
like a physical itch.

I feel bad for her because it turns out that it was a 1939 bike, and had sentimental value
besides!
All the more reason to lock it up, don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home