Monday, September 04, 2006

Cambodia...

Made it to Cambodia. Didn't make it to Angkor Wat today.
Even though we didn't make it there, we managed to see a lot today. And even if we didn't see anything but that one thing, that one thing had a profound impact on me. Even at this moment it's hard to write about. I'll have to come back to this. I do want to come back to it, though.

We went to see the killing fields today. Rather, The Killing Fields. Deserves caps.
It wasn't like we had planned to go there. A sweet-faced Cambodian friend of "S" recommended it. Oh boy. As S later said, his friend "B" lived through it, being our age. Pol Pot, the Khmer Rouge.
It's one thing to hear about it on TV or read brief articles in National Geographic.
Made especially worse by the fact that I was completely ignorant of what I was going to see. I literally thought it was going to be a field, with maybe some sort of marble slab commemoration.

I was wrong, very wrong. Was not at all prepared for what I saw.
Again, this is hard to write about, and I don't have time right now to do it justice.
Hope everyone is well. I'll write more when I can. xoxoxo

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Can't wait to read about it, Lisa, when you're ready. I had the same reaction while visiting Dachau- didn't have the words to describe what was absaorbed.

Continued good travels.

-AM

5:02 AM  
Blogger Metalchick said...

Take your time, I look foward to reading about it too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Looking forward to reading more about your experience there. If it is anything like the scene in the movie The Killing Fields, I can kind of imagine what you mean. Sad.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Lisa, how are you? Haven't talked to you in forever! That's great to hear that you're on vacation...I hope you're having a good time. I look forward to reading about your travels when you are up to writing about it all. Hope you had a great summer. x

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home