Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Killing Fields...


The Killing Fields were places where men, women, and children were taken and executed.
The fields were deceptively peaceful and lovely. Tall grasses, trees blowing in the wind. Butterflies.
I was completely ignorant of what I was going to see. I knew nothing of what happened there. Thanks to the extensive documentation by the Khmer Rouge, I found out.

Bones. Skulls. A tower of skulls. Trails littered with torn, tattered, ancient clothes. The clothing of children that had been stripped from them before they were killed. I remember looking down at a button and a piece of green fabric that had clearly once been a dress. It was next to a trench that was filled with the partially buried bones of women and children. On the tree next to the trench it explained what had happened in vivid detail. We'd almost been walking on them.
It was one of the most profound and disturbing things I have ever experienced. It's only now that I am able to even talk about it a little. The field is littered with bones and the clothing and and the trenches that they fell in and it's a graveyard for the evil of humankind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Capp said...

Hi Lisa,

Wow. Incredible post. What an amazing experience you had on this trip. Truly once in a lifetime. I admire you for going, or even conceiving of going. Most people would rather go to the mall.

I saw your post on Mikey's blog and decided to see what you were up to.

I've also got a ticket to the Bowl for Nov. 4. If some things work out work-wise, I might grab one for the 5th as well. Time (and $$!)will tell.

I miss the old TBWHM gang. Hope you're well. And thanks for sharing some of this incredible trip!

Regards,
Chris

11:11 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Aw, thanks Chris! But my words feel so damned inadequate when trying to describe this experience.

I also miss the old gang. :) Hope you're well, too! Maybe we'll see each other at the Bowl...xoxo

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home