Friday, September 15, 2006

More...

These are a couple of more upsetting photos. I didn't take a lot of pics because I felt like it might be sensationalistic, exploitative to do so. I'm talking about the bones in the ground and all the clothing. The signs describing in vivid detail what happened. The trenches dug by the nude prisoners before they were killed. Their bleached, weathered bones were literally sticking out of the ground in the trenches that they'd dug. There are so many graphic and horrible things I could have captured on film. Didn't the Nazis make the prisoners dig the trenches first, too?
I'm not going to try and play like I'm so tough- I was weeping like a baby stumbling around looking at those little details that mean so much. A button I saw that I will never forget. It made me think of the little kids, naked little kids, their clothes-
That shit was real, it wasn't placed there out of some staged set. There were skulls with cracks in them from rifle butts bashing them in. Small skulls, big skulls. It literally was like seeing Auschwitz with the bodies and everything still there. Yes the skulls were all placed in a tower. But there were bones and clothing of all sizes everywhere that stayed where the people had originally landed when killed. It is becoming part of nature, at least. The earth is growing over it.
As I wrote in a previous post, there were butterflies and beauty there. Trees, blowing grasses.
Forgive my spew of this. Hopefully I can let this go now. Obviously that was something that affected me so deeply, it will remain with me forever.
*Warning* May be too disturbing for some viewers.

6 Comments:

Blogger jeremiah1919 said...

I know I'm a little late, but
welcome back.
As far as these pic: Damn.
That's all I gotta say.

Love ye. Broo

6:00 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

I love you, too. And I will tell you that the Cambodians have been inadvertently given a gift that we don't have. They fucking live every minute like it might be their last.True "Joy of Life". I LOVED Cambodia! Not to mention Angkor Wat and all the other Wats.
And the happy pizza. :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Lisa,

I can understand how you felt here. You see, I travelled around central Europe once in the 90s with my mother, and we visited Auschwitz-Birkenau. But one can never understand in a million years the horror, the nightmare, how something like this could ever happen. After the WWII it was said "we will not let this happen ever again". It didn't take a long time till the next time it happened, did it? :-(

Maria

8:00 AM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

I'm sad for you but kind of comforted by the fact that you could understand how it was for me to see that. The horror. A little kid's bones, and their clothes laying a few feet away. I can't fathom it.I'll never understand that kind of ugliness.
But yeah, as far as the famous quote-it didn't take long to happen again, did it? :(

7:49 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Wow, you captured how I felt walking through Dachau. That visit shook me to the core of my being- how can humans do that to each other? I will never understand, and I will never forget.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Thank you, Anne- Marie. My words felt so inadequate to me when trying to describe the experience .I'm so glad you understand how I felt.It's been a comfort to read yours and Maria's words. xoxo

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home