Monday, November 21, 2005

Makin' Calls Today...

I'm waiting a little while to call Mike B, I don't know his hours, except
that I'm making an assumption that he's a night person. Pete was talking
about this recently, and I remember thinking "I'm a morning person!"
When he mentioned night people and morning people.

Anyway, because Mike B is a professional music person, he probably does
stay up nights. I know that he's having his studio remodeled, and when I
talked to him the other day, there were workmen sounds in the background.
Sawing, drilling, hammering.

I was telling him, I don't even really care about doing a whole album right now,
I wouldn't mind just having some mp3s on my blog, something tangible to show
for all my playing and practicing all those years.
I had a morbid, horrible thought yesterday:
If something happens to me now, and I die, an accident or something, all my songs
die with me. They are all in my head. Oh, there might be a few scraps of paper around here
with some confusing bits of scribbled lyrics, but no music, nothing. Just my word when I was alive that I wrote songs. Fully realized songs.

I'd rather have half a dozen mp3s of my best stuff, then an album full of crap that wasn't me,
that I didn't feel good about. Ted wanted to add all this stuff, that I didn't want. Horns, piano,
he basically wanted to turn it into a jazz album. My music is more ...I don't know what it is, actually. :)
Joni Mitchell-esqe, before she got into her jazz phase? Although Joni is better than anybody,
so I don't mean to compare myself to her. Rachel, too.
Confession:
I got Rachel's album Saturday, and I haven't listened to it.
Reason :When I listen to her I feel like keeping my
mouth closed after that. She's that good. I have been watching the Attic, though.
Plus, I'm afraid that her music will inadvertantly leak into mine, what if I accidentally
wind up plagurising her?
IOW, When I'm about to go into the studio myself, it might not be a good idea to go all
ga-ga- over another singer, the way I've been over Rachel lately. Hi Rachel! :) You are
a hard act to follow!
I remember feeling this way when I was learning how to play guitar. I had/still have a hard time listening to the guitar greats and then picking up my guitar to play right afterwards.
I can't do it. I need a little time, they are tough acts to follow.
Anyway.
Hopefully I'll get something recorded soon, and relax a little. Thanks to everyone that
helped me through this stuff. You've all helped me a lot, I'm not kidding.

3 Comments:

Blogger MsAmber said...

You and I are sisters. I can feel it.
I am reading your blog, I just can't always think of something to say. But I read you.
We are both Scorps also.
Truly,
MsAmber

11:19 AM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Lisa,

I am keeping my fingers crossed and thumbs up for you, hope your wish about getting to studio comes true very very soon!

Great to hear Rachel is influencing you so much. It is actually odd how some music can have such a great effect. I must have listened to the album about a hundred times by now but show no signs of tiring with it, it always has the same effect.

I'm glad the U2 video brought you joy. I love the early U2 as well, such great energy and enthusiasm :)

Maria

11:23 AM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey Ms.Amber, I think I agree with you!

And Maria,
Yep, that U2 video was most excellent!
And about music, clearly it's some sort of brain stimulation caused by the auditory intake, it's got to be.
Because music definitely does have an effect, I totally agree with you.
Thanks you guys, for stopping by!
xoxoLisa

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home