Monday, May 15, 2006

Nick Drake Revisited...

My fave songs of the ones I've heard so far ( I don't have all of the albums or anything like that).River man, Pink Moon, The Cello song, Road, One of these things First.
The guitar playing for "Road" is stunning. Amazing, beautiful. But his death overshadows everything .26. I got choked up, cried a little listening to Road recently when I discovered it, because I thought " Someone that had this kind of talent, so special and beautiful, was this amazing human being, died at the age of 26. Killed himself. Too young!" I've read and researched accounts of what happened, and there sounded to me like a lot of denial going on. It wasn't an accident, not all that I read...and that's heartbreaking. I read all the accounts of the anti-depressants, and sleeping pills. The alleged mixup. The parents are always the ones to go into fierce denial when something like this happens. When a child takes their own life.It's obvious what happened.
If you haven't downloaded any of his stuff yet, do it! Get the above songs, you won't be sorry. I'm sure other N.D. fans like A.M and E.L and R.F. and M.C. and many others could back me up. You won't be sorry!
His stuff sounds so fresh, too. It's hard to believe how long ago this happened. Sounds like it could've been recorded yesterday.
R.I.P. N.D.

7 Comments:

Blogger lryicsgrl said...

My Itunes is on the blink, can you believe it? My poor husband finally downloaded a song and puff, it's not working!!!
I will hear Nick Drake..........someday!

I wish you happiness Lisa. Listen to your mind, and let your heart follow.

XX Sue

4:35 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

I find myself saddened when I listen to him as well, because it's hard to forget how young he was and how much music he must have still had in front of him when he died.
I've got a good friend at work whose daughter took her life last year, aged 24. There is no easy way around that kind of grief- I think losing a child is probably the hardest thing to go through, so unnatural, so devastating, so heartbreaking.

He's worth a serious listen though, even for the sad bits that come up. Highly recommended.

-AM

5:08 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Yep, I knew you'd back me up on that one Anne Marie-Normally I wouldn't ever be so presumptuous! I promise! :)
As far as the subject of suicide, that's so awful.And I really don't believe that the people who commit suicide are aware of the hurt and damage they do to others when they take their own lives. They aren't thinking, that's part of the problem .
And Sue, you must try sometime to check out Nick's music-don;t let his tragic end keep you from trying it!
And thanks for the good wishes and true words. :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

YESSS! DOWNLOAD NICK DRAKE STUFF ANYONE WHO READS THIS!

His music is really exceptional. I can't really explain it but he had something that was lacking in the other singer/songwriters of the era and is lacking in the modern singer/songwriters.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Yes! Download ND!
Was just listening to "Road" again, from Pink Moon.
I love that song so much. I think what choked me up is that it's a
joyous celebration of life, that song. And yet he felt so sad that he took his own life not that long after recording this album..
Maybe he was a slow-cycling bi-polar, so that they didn't see it, catch it. They didn't know as much back then about what was called Manic Depression, anyway.
In any case, that's some sweet picking in "Road", and the words, awesome. Brilliant song.
" I can take a road that'll see me through". a celebration of life, and optimistic. No wonder people could get confused.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Alecia said...

Lisa! I just saw that KanNal is playing here... May 18 2006 - 8:00P
Winstons' San Diego, CA

I really recommend you see these guys, especially with all that is going on for you right now. They don't come to SD all that often and I can't tell you enough what a great a great experience you'll have!

I just posted a vid link to a very mellow acoustic song Tzol and Tierro perform. There is nothing else like these guys, really positive and uplifting!.. be sure to let me know if you see them!

http://www.kannal.org

6:55 AM  
Blogger Metalchick said...

Hi nabonidus,
It's been a while snce I've been here. I'll take your suggestion and listen to Nick Drake. Luckily I'll be having DSL installed tomorrow so I can download things faster.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home