Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My Achin' Back...

Once again I've awakened with horrible back pain, sciatica, all that shit.
I'm truly suffering.
And since my birthday's coming in a couple of weeks,
I went ahead and did some research into the subject of this memory foam stuff.
Priced around, etc.
Apparently these 2 -inch thick pads of memory foam that I saw everywhere aren't even the thickness recommended by experts. Supposedly you need a 4-inch thick for it to make a difference, do any good.
Walmart had one that advertised being 6 inches thick, I checked it out, it was $170+ for the
one I'd need. Except I got to reading a little more, and it turned out that it was false advertising,
it was 4 1/2 inches of regular foam, and 1 1/2 inches of memory foam.

So I read more on the subject, including a comparison between regular foam and memory
foam, the memory foam is way more expensive for a reason. It's far denser, for one thing.
So researched yet more, priced a whole lot of places, and the absolute best deal I personally
found was Overstock.com. They had all sizes same price, for $169. And 2.95 shipping.
And it was the pure 100% 4 -inch memory foam. That's a faaaar better price than anyone
else's. QVC, Walmart, Sears, K-mart, etc. It's hard to find the 4-inch pads at all, and the 2-inch pads are the exact same price.
For a full- size 2 inch pad, $170+!
At the overstock site I am able to get a 4-inch queen sized one for the same price, or a even king size!
I Hope nothing wrong with it. I read the reviews, people in general seemed to really like it. If those were real reviews. There were one or two cranky ones that made them seem legit.
That IS a huge price difference, though.

So that's going to be my birthday present to myself, I gotta do something about this bad- back
situation.
My existing mattress is fine, but apparently a lot of people buy those to revive their existing
mattresses. Supposedly it evens them out.
Anyhoo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Delbut said...

Hi stmbled here via Pete's blog. Just spent 15 mins reading your stuff. I agree about people using the blogs properly. there are some out there that are vetry entertaining and well written.

i haven't got to that stage yet -my excuse is i'm too busy reading others'.

Damn shame about your back. I sometimes suffer from one- a left- over from my construction days. My problem is dodgy knees.

Ah, the pleasures of aching bones unites people accross the atlantic (unless you go the longer way and cross the pacific, i guess).

12:07 PM  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Thanks! : )
And thanks about agreeing with my
controversial post in Pete's blog.
It's hard to speak out like that.
But no one was doing it,and it had to be done, so.... : )

And as far as the achy bones, yep,
the weather's getting a lot colder at night lately.
That's got to be a part of it.Sigh.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home